This Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Casserole is the breakfast casserole that you didn’t even know you wanted this winter. It has delicious breakfast ingredients: sausage, eggs, cheese and is about as easy to toss together as any breakfast casserole.
But the real key to this dish is the corn tortillas. Layered throughout the casserole are big chunks of corn tortilla. In the middle they soak up the casserole almost turning into an enchilada. But on top they turn into super crispy, crunchy shards.
Depending on your schedule and mood, you can make this casserole the day of or toss it all together the night before and then just bake it off in the morning!
Starting the Breakfast Casserole
I used a bulk breakfast sausage for my tortilla breakfast casserole which was already laced with lots of spices and flavor. I know it had some spice to it, some herbs like sage and maybe even a little maple syrup.
I think you could use any sausage really though. If you use just plain ground pork, be sure to add some herbs and spices to it while it cooks.
Brown the sausage off in a skillet over medium-high heat. It’s probably a good idea to add a small drizzle of oil although as the sausage cooks, some of the fat will render out also.
Once it’s looking nice and browned, add in the onions and peppers.
Then stir in the green chiles once the veggies soften a bit. The sausage should be completely cooked at this point.
Oh, and your house will smell good. Sorry for partying.
Tortillas in Breakfast Casserole
If you wanted to get fancy you could roll this filling in the tortilla and make actual breakfast enchiladas. That’s a lot of work though. This method is better.
Just chop those suckers up. You want big, uneven chunks though.
To make the casserole, layer in some corn strips and top with about half of the sausage mixture and cheese.
Then whisk your eggs together with the paprika, red pepper flakes, and milk. Pour about half of that over the tortilla breakfast casserole.
Repeat with more corn strips, sausage, cheese, and eggs and then sprinkle the extra corn strips right on top.
As this bakes, the eggs will puff up and cover most of the casserole but the strips on top will get super crispy.
Want a different flavor profile? Try this Challah Breakfast Casserole!
Baking the Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
This delicious creation will need to bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or so. The eggs in the center should be just set and the strips on top should be browned and crispy.
It’s a thing of beauty!
Fresh chives finish the Tortilla Breakfast Casserole off. I couldn’t wait to dig in.
Sausage and Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 4 oz. can green chile
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chives, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. In a large skillet, add a drizzle of oil and sausage. Break up sausage and brown it well, cooking for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and pepper to the sausage and cook for another 1-2 minutes until veggies soften. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in green chiles and remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs together with milk, paprika, and red chile flakes. Roughly chop tortilla strips and grate cheese.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, spread out about a third of the tortilla strips. Then top with half of the sausage mixture and half the cheese. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Repeat: tortillas, sausage, cheese, eggs. Top the dish with the last 1/3 of the tortilla strips.
- Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the egg is set in the center of the dish. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Serve casserole while hot with fresh chives.