It’s grilling season and while I’m always a fan of a delicious cheeseburger, it’s also a good idea to have some healthier grilling options in your back pocket! Laura’s Lean challenged me to make a healthier burger for summer and these Lettuce Wrap Sliders are not only low-carb, low-fat, and high protein, but they are delicious.
I actually just ate three for dinner one night and it was awesome.
If you aren’t familiar with Laura’s Lean, they make a few different ground beef blends from 92% to 96% lean ground beef. They also make patties and I really appreciate their “Never Ever” pledge, meaning their protein is sourced from suppliers that raise their cattle without ever using added hormones or antibiotics and are always vegetarian fed.
These sliders are a great, healthy summer appetizer or you can pile them up as a dinner option! Any way you serve them, you can feel good about it! Don’t skip the spicy burger sauce! It’s adds the perfect amount of fat to the sliders and gives them a sweet and spicy kick!
How to Make Beef Sliders
When I’m making sliders, I like to shoot for about a 2 ounce slider. You don’t have to weight them or anything, but you should get eight sliders out of a pound of ground beef. Once I have them portioned out I flatten them slightly and then season them with salt and pepper.
These cook fast on a hot grill over direct heat. About 3 minutes per side is all you need for perfect sliders!
What kind of lettuce to use with these wraps?
In theory any lettuce will work okay, but personally I think butter lettuce works best. It’s light and slightly sweet in flavor. It has some flexibility to it but also is strong enough to not wilt immediately. If you can’t find it, romaine lettuce will work okay although it isn’t as flexible as good butter lettuce. You can kind of piece it together though!
My spicy burger sauce
I do like to use a burger sauce for these lettuce wrap sliders. It helps give them some fat and also a spicy kick! The sauce I made for these is a mix of mayo, relish, and sriracha. You don’t need more than a tablespoon for each slider and it adds great flavor to the lettuce wraps!
Can you make these in advance?
You might be inclined to make these in advance if you are hosting a party or something, but they are truly the best right off the grill. Of course, you can prep the toppings in advance and keep them in the fridge and even portion out the sliders and keep them in the fridge, but I recommend cooking and assembling them right before you are going to eat them!
Lettuce Wrap Sliders
- 16 ounces Lean Ground Beef
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Neutral oil, for grill
- Fresh butter lettuce
- Fresh ripe tomato, sliced thin
- Red onion, sliced thin
- Sliced pepperoncini peppers
Quick Spicy Burger Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or direct heat grilling. In a small bowl, stir together burger sauce ingredients. Prepare all your burger topping veggies. Wash the lettuce and take care to dry it so you don’t have wet sliders.
- Divide ground beef mix into eight even balls, each 2 ounces in size. Lightly mash the burgers into about 2-3 inch rounds. Season sliders with salt and pepper.
- Clean and oil grill and then add sliders. Grill for 3 minutes per side, flipping once during grilling.
- Remove sliders from the grill.
- Assemble sliders by adding some burger sauce to a butter lettuce piece. Top with red onion and tomato, slider patty, and sliced pepperoncini. Top with another piece of butter lettuce and serve while warm!