Let me introduce you all to a little thing I like to call the Sweet Chili Chicken Wrap. I made this specifically to be a wrap for dinner. Could you eat it for lunch? Absolutely, but it’s really best as a light weeknight dinner. And guess what? It takes about 30 minutes to make even if you are a slowpoke in the kitchen.
The key to these slightly sweet and spicy wraps is sweet chili sauce. If you haven’t used this stuff before there are a few different brands but you should be able to find some version of it in most stores these days. It isn’t as spicy as something like sriracha or chili garlic sauce so you can simmer the chicken in it and also drizzle some on the wrap before chowing down.
Of course, on top of the sweet chili chicken, I pile on loads of crunchy veggies to finish off the wrap. It’s a pretty delicious situation.
Cooking the Sweet Chili Chicken
This is the only thing you actually need to cook for this recipe. It’s pretty straightforward. Combine the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and chicken in a medium pot.
Cover this and let it simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. It should shred easily. If it doesn’t, cook it for another few minutes.
When it’s done simmering, take the lid off the pot, turn the heat down to low, and shred the chicken with a few forks. Personally, for wraps like this, I like the chicken to be pretty chunky.
Keep the pot over low heat so the sauce reduces a bit while you shred it.
The Vegetable Assortment
You could add all kinds of veggies to these wraps. If you want something with a little fat, go the avocado route. I kept my veggies crisp and fresh though with some green lettuce, shredded carrots and sliced sweet peppers (the little tiny guys). I also added some sliced red onion and cilantro.
You can get all these ready while the chicken cooks obviously.
Then it’s pile on time!
Pick a wrap, add some lettuce and veggies, pile on the chicken (drain off any extra liquid), and drizzle on some extra sweet chili sauce.
If I’m really hungry, I can take down two of these, but one is pretty filling.
Dig in to these sweet chili chicken wraps! They make great game-day fare or quick weekday lunches as well.
Storing Leftover Chicken
This chicken keeps really well for 4-5 days. Don’t store any leftover veggies you have with the chicken as they will break down faster than the chicken. The chicken is okay cold in sandwiches and wraps but you can reheat it gently on the stove with a splash of sauce and water or in the microwave.
Sweet Chili Chicken Wraps
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice only
- Green lettuce
- 1 medium Daikon radish, shredded
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Sweet peppers, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, garnish
- 6 large tortillas or wraps
- Sweet Chili Sauce, garnish
- In a medium pot, combine chicken, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice over medium heat. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Shred chicken into chunks when it is cooked through, uncover the pot, turn heat down to low, and let chicken simmer and thicken while you make the rest of the toppings.
- Wash and dry lettuce, shred carrots and prepare other vegetables.
- To make a wrap, lay a few pieces of lettuce on a wrap of your choice, top with shredded veggies and big spoonfuls of chicken (drain off any extra liquid). Drizzle on extra sweet chili sauce and roll wrap up. Serve immediately!