This post contains affiliate links from Ooni. By purchasing something from Ooni you help Macheesmo keep the lights on!
When I got my Ooni Karu setup and ready, I wanted to put it through the paces with a bunch of different pizzas and see how it performed. One pizza I wanted to try right away was a simple sausage and mushroom pizza.
Normally, when I make a sausage mushroom pizza, I don’t cook the mushrooms or the sausage before adding them to the pizza. I was a bit worried that this wouldn’t work with the Ooni and I would need to pre-cook the ingredients.
Turns out, the Ooni does the job great and the intense heat not only cooks the sausage and mushroom but also gives you that crackingly delicious crust.
Ingredients for the Pizza
I keep my ingredients simple for this pizza. Obviously you need some sort of pizza dough. I like a classic thin crust pizza dough.
Other than that I use:
- High Quality Canned Tomatoes (like San Marzano)
- Italian sausage
- Cremini mushrooms
- Low moisture Mozzarella
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil (optional)
When you get your pizza dough stretched out, add it to a lightly floured peel and then spread out the sauce. The biggest mistake people make with a pizza like this is adding too much tomato. A thin layer is enough. It shouldn’t pool at all on the dough.
Then add the mozzarella, sausage, mushroom, and Italian seasoning. Break up the sausage into small balls so they cook quickly.
Slide this into the preheated Ooni and you’re ready to go!
What’s an Ooni? The Ooni pizza oven is a fabulously easy to use pizza oven that creates a wonderful crust and cooks pizza in minutes. Check out my full review of the Ooni or you can also skip on over to their site for more info.
My pizza cooked in about three minutes. I kept a close eye on it and turned it every 45 seconds or so to make sure it was cooking evenly.
Turns out I had nothing to worry about on the sausage and mushroom front. Both were cooked beautifully!
Here was my finished pizza fresh out of the oven and ready to be cut up and devoured!
The real test for me is the crust! Here’s a peek under the hood!
Looks pretty good!
Be sure to check back tomorrow for another fun pizza – this one is a bit out of the norm!
Meanwhile, make some pizza and check out the Ooni!
Sausage Mushroom Pizza
- 1 8-ounce pizza dough
- Flour , for shaping
- ⅓ cup canned tomatoes, crushed
- 2 ounces Italian sausage
- 3-4 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven, ideally the Ooni pizza oven.
- Flour dough and stretch it using your hands until it’s about 10-12 inches in width. Place on a lightly floured peel.
- Add tomatoes, spreading them out with a spoon.
- Top with mozzarella, Italian sausage, chopped mushroom, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Slide into the pizza oven.
- Cook pizza for 3-4 minutes, rotating pizza every minute or so to ensure even cooking. Monitor heat and turn heat down if it is cooking too fast.
- Alternatively: You can cook the pizza in a traditional oven on a baking stone at 500˚F for 10-12 minutes.
- When pizza comes out, let cool briefly and garnish with fresh basil. Slice and serve immediately!
Did you make this recipe?
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! If you add your sausage in tiny balls and spread them out evenly over the surface of the pizza, they will cook fine as the pizza cooks.
Any thin-crust dough works well. Don’t use a thick crust pizza dough. Store-bought dough works just fine.
If you don’t have an Ooni, no worries, you can cook this pizza in a traditional oven. Use a pizza stone and heat it to 500˚F. Slide in the pizza and it’ll need to cook for 10-12 minutes.