It’s almost a given that if you are a busy parent (or just a busy person) you will fall into a weekday recipe rut. Sometimes I find myself cooking the same meal every week, almost on auto-pilot.
So, I think having recipes like this Easy Lemon Chicken Skillet on hand to bring some bright flavors to your week is really important. This skillet is ridiculously simple to toss together, but the flavors taste like you were in the kitchen for hours. Plus, it’s really delicious.
Bookmark this sucker, and the next time you’re thinking about making that marinara spaghetti plate you’ve eaten 400 times, try this skillet recipe instead!
Easy Lemon Chicken Skillet
- 4 4-6 oz. chicken cutlets
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Fresh parsley, garnish
- Pasta or rice, for servings
- Season chicken cutlets with a mix of paprika, basil, thyme, and kosher salt.
- Add Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted and simmering, add chicken cutlets and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until browned and cooked through.
- Remove chicken cutlets from the skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook for a minute or two until onions are translucent. Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- 4)Then slowly add chicken stock. Bring to a slight simmer and add lemon juice and zest.
- 5)Stir in sour cream and return chicken to the skillet. Turn heat down to low and simmer for a few minutes to thicken sauce. Spoon sauce over the chicken cutlets.
- Before serving, garnish skillet with grape tomatoes, capers, and fresh parsley.
- 7)Serve chicken and sauce spooned over cooked pasta or rice.
Did you make this recipe?
Easy Lemon Chicken Skillet
This chicken skillet dish is one of my new favorites because the flavors are big, but it’s super easy to toss together.
I recommend starting with chicken cutlets that are 4-6 ounces each. If you can’t find these, you can buy full chicken breasts and slice them horizontally to make them thinner. Then season the cutlets with a mixture of kosher salt, paprika, basil, and thyme.
When you’re ready to cook, sear chicken cutlets in Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil in a large skillet. The cutlets should cook through in 8-10 minutes since they are thin, but test one to make sure.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook those until translucent and whisk in the flour to make a quick roux.
Then, slowly add the chicken stock. Bring the sauce to a slight simmer and turn heat down to low. It’ll start to thicken pretty quickly into a light gravy.
Stir in the lemon juice and zest, sour cream, and add the cooked chicken cutlets back to the skillet. Simmer the skillet for a minute or two to combine flavors and garnish with tomatoes, capers, and parsley.
Serve the chicken and sauce spooned over cooked pasta or rice for a quick and delicious weeknight chicken skillet dinner!