As someone who doesn’t have a huge sweet tooth, I’m on a constant hunt for ways to add a little savory deliciousness to classic sweet dishes. That’s why this Savory Avocado French Toast is my new favorite thing.
This French toast has a pretty standard start, with a custard mixture, but then gets a light crust of Parmesan cheese on it before browning it in a skillet. The parmesan adds a little crunch to the French toast and also gives it a nice, salty bite.
Believe it or not, the avocado goes perfectly with maple syrup, adding a fatty richness to the dish.
I found this mash-up to be not only delicious, but also a really pretty plate of food if I do say so myself! Never force your guests to choose between sweet and savory! Just make one dish that has both!
- Want an easy no-fuss French Toast option? Try my Basic French Toast method!
Savory Avocado French Toast
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices French bread
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- Maple syrup
- Fresh scallions
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cut French bread into 8 slices about ½-inch thick. Place bread in the custard mixture for a few seconds on each side. Then move bread to a baking sheet, preferably with a wire rack so the bread is slightly elevated.
- Sprinkle soaked bread with Parmesan cheese on both sides.
- In a large nonstick skillet or on a griddle over medium heat, add Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. Let melt. When it begins to bubble, add bread.
- Cook French toast for 3-4 minutes per side until it’s nicely browned. Remove French toast and let rest. You’ll probably need to cook the French toast in two batches.
- When ready to serve, top savory French toast with ripe avocado slices, scallions, and maple syrup.
Did you make this recipe?
Savory Avocado French Toast
This French toast starts like any standard French toast, with a custard mixture of eggs and milk. I add just a little sugar to mine and leave out vanilla which would normally be there. Instead I added some spices like paprika and black pepper to up the savory notes.
After you soak the French bread in the custard for a few seconds, lay it out on a wire rack and coat it with Parmesan cheese. This is the secret step that your eaters won’t be able to completely pin down, but adds a delicious salty crust to the toast.
Cook these guys in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. I like to use Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. You need to use a few spoonfuls of it to make sure the toasts sear nicely and the Parmesan doesn’t stick to the skillet.
After 3-4 minutes per side the toasts should be crispy and browned perfectly!
Serve these bad boys with really ripe sliced avocados, fresh scallions, and maple syrup. You could also sprinkle them with some salt and chili powder for a little bonus savory flavor!
This flavor combo completely works and I hope you try it!