This post is sponsored by Harry & David. I used their Apples for this Braised Sausage and Apples recipe.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for cooler weather and braised dishes! This braised apple & sausage dish will be a common rotation for me this fall!
There are a few tricks with braising apples so they don’t turn mushy! First, use great apples! I used Harry and David Apples with are perfectly ripe when delivered and braise well without falling apart. Second, cut your apples into big wedges. You could do quarters or sixths, but don’t cut them too small or they will break down too much in the braise.
For serving this braised sausage, I like to serve it over a quick mashed potato, but you could serve it with buttered noodles or rice as a side as well!
I hope you are as excited for fall as I am and I hope you try out this great braised dish!
Braised Apples and Sausage
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red cabbage, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 apples, cut into sixths
- Scallions or chives, garnish
Quick Mashed Red Potatoes:
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F˚. Add olive oil to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook for 3-4 minutes per side so they get some sear on them.
- Remove sausages from the skillet (they are still mostly uncooked). Add sliced cabbage to the skillet along with garlic, shallot, vinegar, stock, salt and fennel seeds. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add apple wedges and press them into the cabbage mix. Then add sausages on top. Cover the skillet with a lid or foil and transfer to oven. Braise at 350˚F for 25-30 minutes until the sausage is cooked through and the apples and cabbage are tender.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in lightly salted water until they are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Then drain and mash with butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper for rustic mashed potatoes.
- Serve the sausages, apples, and cabbage mixture over the mashed potatoes. Garnish with scallion or chives.
Did you make this recipe?
How to Make Braised Apples and Sausage
I used these wonderful apples from Harry and David for this recipe!
But the recipe doesn’t actually start with apples. It starts with the sausage which I lightly sear in a cast iron dutch oven. You want something big enough to hold all the cabbage and stuff!
After searing the sausage it won’t be cooked all the way through, but should be browned well.
Remove the sausage from the skillet and you can add the cabbage, shallots, garlic, and fennel seeds.
Next add the liquid to the dutch oven along with the apples. I recommend just quartering them or cutting them into sixths. You can leave the skins on!
Cover the Dutch oven and place it in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes. That will make sure the sausage is cooked through and the apples should be tender without completely falling apart.
I like to serve this braised apples and sausage dish over some quick mashed potatoes! YUM.
If you have leftovers, they keep really well in the fridge for a few days!